Tuesday, October 28, 2014

This Week's Menu: Oct.27-Nov.2

*Disclosure* NONE of the highlighted recipes are mine. I want to thank all the blogs and websites mentioned in this post for sharing their creations(or making time to tweak another's, lol) with people like me who need all the help they can get in the kitchen ;)

Monday-

Tuesday-


Wednesday-

  • Breakfast: Peach Bread
  • Lunch: Sandwiches 
  • Dinner: Brisket enchiladas w/ yellow rice and peas(3)

Thursday-


Friday-

  • Breakfast: Oatmeal w/apple slices and cinnamon
  • Lunch: Leftovers or sandwiches
  • Dinner: Philly Cheesesteak Pizza(5)

Weekend-

  • Breakfast: donuts(found these in a bakery discount cart in my supermarket!) and bananas(also found on discount in my supermarket!)
  • Lunch: any leftovers from previous meals, or sandwiches
  • Dinner: Creamy Chicken Lasagna(6) w/ Garlic Herb & Parm breadsticks(5) 
  • Saturday's Family Movie Night Treat: Peach Dumplings with French Vanilla Ice Cream
Notes:
(1)The fried chicken mentioned was kindly provided to us after helping our church with an event after services. The Sausage, Parm and Kale soup modifications- I doubled the recipe before I noticed it originally had 10 servings for a single batch(opps!), so that's why it's on here a lot this week. I omitted the water and added more chicken broth instead. I had no thyme in the house so I just added extra parsley. I added frozen corn(about 3 cups) when adding the other veggies called for. Last, I added the parmesan cheese into the milk mix after it reached the desired consistency because I have a bad history with adding cheeses to soups and the cheese just making a big clump at the bottom of the soup...plus, I'm lazy. *laughs*
(2)For the breakfast bread recipe, I added 1 apple, chopped, about a half a cup of dried cranberries, and about a half a cup of walnuts from our tree outside. Instead of the called for oil, I used the same amount of butter, melted. I cover the top of all sweet/quick bread recipes in aluminium foil and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes only because I've found in the past if I follow the recipe's statement,  "50 minutes uncovered" the bottom will be done but the middle will still be uncooked/raw.
For the lunch bread recipe, I used the same "nut bread" base as I did with the apple, cranberry and walnut recipe(above), just omitted the nut part  and added 4 peaches, pureed in blender. I tripled the recipe but instead of adding the called for 3 cups of milk, I only used  a 1 and 1/4 cups of milk and mixed it in with the pureed peaches, which, coincidentally made about 3 cups of liquid .
(3) I had made the Brisket over the weekend for another meal. To use it for the enchiladas, I just took what I had left over, sprinkled some taco seasoning onto it, mixed it in with a small bottle of salsa, put it on my homemade tortillas, and rolled them as decent as I could. I spread some salsa on the bottom of the baking dish, added the filled tortillas, put salsa on top of the tortillas(some people buy enchilada sauce, but to each their own) and added some shredded cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. For the yellow rice, I cheated and used a pre-packaged rice mix that you can normally find in the ethnic foods section of your local supermarket. I doubled it and once it finished cooking, I added 1 cup cooked peas.
(4) For the chili, I omit the onion and garlic powder and add 1 onion and about 2-4 teaspoons of crushed or minced garlic from a jar. I also add 1(15-ish oz.) can of white corn or 2 cups frozen corn. I don't mix the cheese into the soup(see sausage, parm. and kale note for reason why), but just sprinkle it on top of the soup.
(5) Pizza- for the crust, I use this recipe. I'm making a double batch of the dough so I can use the other dough for bread sticks on Saturday. I'm going to try something a franchise pizza place does, and melt a few tablespoons of butter, brush onto the dough, sprinkle garlic-herb seasoning and shredded parmesan cheese to the crust before adding toppings. To assemble the pizza, I'm going use homemade cheese sauce instead of marinara pizza sauce, cooked cheese steak meat(i.e., "steak flats")  that was sauteed with chopped onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. For the actual cheese, I'm going to use shredded provolone.
(6)I'm substituting (1) 15-oz package of ricotta for the cottage cheese, because I can't stand cottage cheese. I'm adding about 1 cup of fresh spinach to the ricotta cheese because...veggies, that's why. *Boss face*
Have a yummy week!
Until Next Time....
-Mama Jenn


No comments:

Post a Comment