Raisin Bread Apple Crisp
Found at: Sunmaid Raisins
6 TBS. melted butter
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup chopped nuts
4 slices raisin bread (homemade, or store bought)
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into ¼ inch wedges
Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Combine butter, brown sugar and nuts.
- Tear raisin bread into ¼ inch to ½ inch pieces.
- Mix torn bread with butter mixture.
- Put cut apples in a 9-inch baking dish, pat bread mixture firmly over apples.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until top is golden brown and apples are soft. Serve warm.
Cranberry Crumble Bars
Found at: Martha Stewart Living, Nov. 2012 Issue
Makes- 24 bars
1 can (14 oz.) whole-berry cranberry sauce
½ cup dried cranberries (7 ½ oz.)
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ tsp. cornstarch
¾ cup cold water
6 TBS. cranberry juice
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. coarse salt
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ¼ cups packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
(If making your own filling): Pulse cranberries and sugar in a food processor until a coarse paste forms. Transfer to saucepan. Whisk cornstarch into cold water, then add to cranberry mixture, whisking to combine. Stir in juice. Simmer over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens and sugar dissolves, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- Butter or spray with cooking spray a 9x13 inch baking pan. Line baking pan with parchment paper, letting 2 long sides overhang edges. Butter parchment, then flour parchment and sides of pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add brown sugar and butter, and stir until well combined. Mix in egg and vanilla, then oats and walnuts.
- Press half of dough mix into pan. Spread cranberry filling evenly over the dough, then crumble remaining dough on top of filling.
- Bake about 40 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
- Let cool completely in pan on wire rack, about 1 hour, then lift out using parchment.
- Cut into 2 inch squares.