Pizza-Stuffed Chicken Breast
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt and Pepper
¼ cup Italian Style bread crumbs (find a quick recipe for it here)
1 cup shredded pizza cheese blend (or ½ cup shredded mozzarella and ½ cup shredded cheddar, parmesan , or Romano cheese)
1 cup pepperoni slices
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken in a plastic bag or between two layers of plastic wrap. Pound to flatten to 3/8 inches thick OR butterfly chicken breast to make thinner. Put aside.
- Mix Cheese(s) and Italian seasoning in a small bowl.
- Divide filling ingredients in center of each chicken. Put cheese first, pepperoni on top.
- Wrap chicken around filling. Secure with toothpicks, put stuffed chicken in a baking dish.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Lightly spray with cooking spray or brush with oil. Sprinkle chicken with breadcrumbs.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
Mashed Potato Cakes
2 cups cooked mashed potatoes(homemade, or from a box)
2 TBS. vegetable oil
2 TBS. butter
½ cup flour
1 tsp. granulated garlic
Salt and pepper to taste
- Divide mashed potatoes into 8 portions and form patties.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix together remaining dry ingredients. Place on a large plate.
- Coat patties in dry mixture. Place into skillet and cook 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Turn over and cook 5-7 minutes or until golden brown.
- Optional- serve with a dollop of sour cream, bacon crumbles, and chives.
Meat and Veggies Calzone
Okay, I'll admit. I have no idea of what normally comes inside a calzone. I've never had a "real calzone" before. I made this last week on the grill while our power was out. My original intention was pizza, but I was afraid I was going to burn the bottom(since I've never grilled a pizza before), so I quickly folded it and this is the end result. If it's not a "real calzone", then I'm just going to call it a huge hot pocket, so I don't offend any potential calzone lovers. J
You can also mix and match whatever sounds good or you have available.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1-2 TBS. oil
Monterey Chicken Seasoning, to taste
10 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 cups shredded cheese( I used mozzarella and cheddar)
1 cup spinach leaves, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1 recipe Multi-purpose dough (found here)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix chicken cubes, oil, and Monterey chicken seasoning. Cook in a skillet over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through. Put aside to cool.
- Once chicken in cooled, mix with bacon, cheese, spinach, and tomatoes.
- After multi-purpose dough is done rising, divide into two dough balls. Roll out each dough ball to form a large circle(almost like you're making a pizza).
- On one half of dough, put chicken mixture. Fold and seal closed to form a half circle. Repeat the same process with second piece of dough.
- Put on a baking sheet, bake 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, allow to cool a few minutes.
- Slice each calzone to 4 pieces, enjoy!
Taco Seasoning Mix
My family loves tacos, but since starting the process of better eating, I've noticed with pre-packaged taco seasoning, I get terrible heartburn. No matter how little or what brand I used, the result was always the same. We started to cut down on our taco eating, but then I bought the Fix-It and Forget It Diabetic Cookbook for my dad when he found out he had diabetes. When he passed due to other health issues a year later, my stepmother gave me back the cookbook, saying she had no need for it. I found this recipe, tried it, and we haven't bought pre-packaged taco seasoning since. It doesn't leave a funky aftertaste in your mouth, and I have yet to get heartburn from it.
Found at- Fix-It and Forget it Diabetic Cookbook
Makes- 3 servings(equivalent to using 3 packets of the store-bought stuff)
6 tsp. chili powder
5 tsp. paprika
4 ½ tsp. cumin
3 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
2/3 TBS. dry cornstarch
- Combine all ingredients in bowl. Put in a small Tupperware or ziplock container. Make sure to label it!
- One-third of mix(or, about 7 tsp.) is equivalent to 1 package of purchased taco seasoning mix. To use for cooking, mix 7 tsp. of taco seasoning mix with ¾ cup water and cook until thickened(about 5-10 minutes), and mix with meat of choice.